The routine of deworming and worm treatments can seem never ending for some dog owners. These pests are so prevalent and stubborn that it is difficult to be rid of them for long. Still, we cannot get complacent about the issue when there are so many health risks. All dog owners need the best dog dewormer solution to keep their canine pals fit and healthy. In this guide we will compare some of the best options, while also providing tips and information on different type of canine worms and preventative methods.
Before we look at the best dog dewormer products, we need to understand the types of worms and their symptoms.
What types of worms can dogs get?
There are many different species of parasitic worm that may enter the dogs heart or digestivesystem. The majority are found in the intestines. Most fall into some distinctive categories.
Each worm has is own methods and related problems, which results in different types of symptoms and telltale signs of infestation. Some of the more common worms and their symptoms are as follows.
These worms live in a dog’s intestine and a common nuisance. They can grow as long as eight inches in length and continually lay eggs. This is why deworming products are required so frequently.
Symptoms: These worms have a tendency to cause stomach upsets, such as bloating, diarrhoea and vomiting. The can also affect the dog’s appetite. Get the symptoms checked via an intestinal check at the vets.
These long, white worms start off small, but can take hold in the digestive system pretty quickly. There are different forms and some products can handle them better than others.
Symptoms: these worms are pretty visible when checking stool samples. If you see something that look like a piece of rice on the stool, or on the dog’s anus, this could be a tapeworm or its egg. Remember that dogs with tapeworms have a tendency to scoot across the carpet to relieve themselves.
The vicious creatures have has teeth that attach to the dog’s intestine, allowing the worm to drink the blood. It moves around at least six times a day for a good feast.
These worms live in the heart, as well as some of the larger blood vessels. They are often spread by mosquitoes and can grow to 6 inches in length.
Symptoms: These worms can exhibit a range of symptom once they take hold. It their best, they will lead to a dull coat, lack of energy, but at their worst they can cause an enlarged abdomen, breathing problems and fainting.
The problem with heart worms is that they often lead to no symptoms at all until the disease reaches more advanced stages, which leads to our next consideration.
Some of the bigger dangers of untreated worms in dogs.
When an infestation of worms goes by unnoticed and untreated, the results can be catastrophic. We have to remember that these creatures are not swimming around doing nothing. Instead, they are parasites leaching on nutrients or blood. Young puppies that are left with untreated roundworms can experience rupturing of the bowels. Hookworms will cause so much blood loss that dogs can develop anaemia and iron-deficiency. In all cases, these vicious parasite, as well as heart worms, can be fatal.
Finding the best dog dewormer treatment to help with the problem.
The seriousness of the issue here means that there is no option but to treat dogs for worms on regular occasions and remain vigilant about the dangers. Therefore, all dog owners need the best deworming products available. Some of the following are specialist treatments while others cover different forms of worms. There are also different methods of application.
1. 8in1 SafeGuard Canine Dewormer.
The appeal of this Safe Guard solution is simple – this is an 8-in-1 option with a wide range of targets. It works against those common worm type mention above, as well as the less common whipworm. This long lasting treatment is safe, easy to use and is the #1 best seller on Amazon.com, at time of writing.
broad range of targets, simple granule solution and safe enough for young puppies over the age of 6 weeks and pregnant dogs.
must be administered for 3 consecutive days in order to be effective and there are some mixed results depending on the worm.
- Safe Guard treats against Tapeworms, Roundworms, Hookworms,...
- Easy to feed granules that mix into food
- Safe for young puppies over the age of 6 weeks, pregnant...
- Must be administered for 3 consecutive days and is effective...
2. Panacur Canine Dewormer 2 gram.
The Safe Guard option may be the best seller, but there isn’t much to complain about with this option either. Owners mix it into wet dog food with ease and there are few complaints from the animal in terms of taste or side effects.
Targets all but the heart worm, is safe during pregnancy, mixes in with food and has a high safety rating.
There are reports that it occasionally misses some tapeworms.
- Mix the daily dose with a small amount of your dog’s usual...
- Repeat the daily dose for 3 days in a row (each packet is a...
- If dog's weight is in between suggested dosing sizes, it's...
- Safe for all Dogs 6 weeks and older, including pregnant Dogs
3. Durvet Triple Medium and Large Dog Wormer.
This Durvet option is similar to those above in that it offers a great formula for a whole host of problems. This is ideal for those that aren’t sure of the precise problem or just want a thorough preventative measure. The trouble is that some owners are too confused by the instructions and others prefer to opt for something cheaper.
One of the broader ranges to target seven different types ofworms, some great results recorded and no concerns over side effects.
A little bit expensive for some and some confusing instructions.
4. ExpertCare Quad Dewormer for Large Dogs.
This ExpertCare option for Large Dogs is appealing for the right type of animal, but it is important to note that this is a more specialist option. This is designed to offer the precise dosage for those larger animals – preferably those that are happy with a chewable solution. Users say it offers fast results on tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms and whip-worms.
2 simple, chewable tablets, no problems or side effects mentioned and a broad formula
No complaints with owners where the product is suitable.
5. D-Worm Combo Broad Spectrum De-Wormer for Dogs.
This D-Worm solution is pretty similar is purpose, with two convenient little tablets for effective treatment of tapeworms, roundworms, and hookworms. The difference is that this is for puppies and small dogs, so check the instructions.
Same as above with a simple, chewable tablet with a good formula. Another one-time, inexpensive option.
Again, plenty of positive feedback when the formula is applicable. Won’t be effective on larger dogs.
- For treatment and control of tapeworms, roundworms, and...
- For medium and large dogs over 25 pounds
- Contains 2 chewable flavored dog de-wormer tablets
6. Sentry HC WormX Plus Dog Dewormer.
This Sentry option comes quite high on the list of results on relevant products on Amazon, but it is a mid-level option here. There is no doubt that this 7 part formula has a great effect on many types of worm, but there are too many issues for it to rank any higher. The lack of guidance and expense will put many owners off.
A strong, broad formula for lots of different types of worms and some great results according to owners.
Unclear instructions with the package, some vomiting and a high cost.
7. Bayer Tapeworm Dewormer for Dogs (5 Tablets).
A specialist option like this Bayer system is a great idea for owners that know that their pup is dealing with tapeworm and no other infestation. This FDA approved formula targets the pests effectively and owners like the system of half a tablet per 5lbs in weight. This means that there may be multiple doses per pack, and that owners are unlikely to give dogs too much.
Simple dosage system, plenty of tablets for the cost and a very effective performance.
Only targets tapeworms.
- 5-count bottle of tapeworm dewormer for dogs
- Easy, effective way to remove common tapeworms from dogs
- Tablets may be crumbled and mixed with food or taken by...
- Tapeworm dewormer for dogs will remove the common tapeworms,...
8. Naturpet D Wormer 100% Natural Dewormer for Dogs and Cats.
As you will see, most of the options mentioned in this guide have all been medicinal, in that there are well known drugs to kill the pests. This is a natural alternative with the apparent ability to heal the dog as well as kill the worm. It would be higher up the list if it were cheaper with more consistency.
Natural formula that still promise to target a wide range of problem, with the added benefit of 2-7 doses in a simple liquid. Also suitable for cats.
Mixed responses from owners – due to varying results – and animals – with some side effects. Also one of the more expensive options.
No products found.
9. PetArmor Sure Shot 2X Dewormer for Dogs.
The makers of this liquid solution take about a formula that dogs will love the taste of – it is one of their main selling points. The problem is that there are many pups that despite the taste and won’t go near it. There are also mixed results on the efficiency. An easy-to-use option for those that get the right result.
Simple liquid solution with a popular active ingredient - pyrantel pamoate.
Not as tasty or effective as the makers like to think.
No products found.
10. Bayer K9 Advantix II, Flea And Tick Control Treatment for Dogs.
This sounds like a wildcard entry here, but these sort of pest control meausres can help the ongoing fight against worm infestation. Heartworms can come from mosquitoes, so prevent the mosquitoes from biting. Tapeworms can come from fleas, so stop the fleas from biting. This is only a supplemental aid for use with other treatments, but it has its use in the full worm treatment programme.
Combats many of the causes of worms in an effective topical solution.
Not a specific worm treatment and must be used with other dog dewormers.
- 6 monthly applications of K9 Advantix II flea and tick...
- K9 Advantix II flea and tick prevention for dogs works...
- K9 Advantix II flea and tick control for dogs is an easy to...
- Starts working to kill fleas within 12 hours and keeps...
The best solution to dog deworming is a mixture of prevention and cure.
The products above all have their own pros and cons for treating and eliminating certain types of worms when a dog is infected. The likelihood of infection, and the dangers of the worms, mean that these products are essential tools in regular treatment procedures. However, preventative measure can also help to reduce the risk of infestation in the first place. Owners are advised to carry out the following:
- Always keep up to date with health checks and veterinarian interventions to keep dogs in the best possible health. These OTC dewormers are a great tool for home use, but cannot replace the tough treatments from a vet. Make sure to get a heart worm prescription once a month, or perhaps the six monthly Proheart injection as well.
- All owners are also advised to be thorough when cleaning up after dogs. Ultimately, you want to minimise the animals contact with any waste left behind, and therefore the worms and eggs that may still be within it. This is even more crucial with pups that are in a phase of eating their waste. A clean yard means a more hygienic playground where parasites are less welcome.
- On the subject of hygiene, owners must always work on their personal hygiene around dogs to prevent transmission between human and animal. If you are treating a pet for worms, the last thing you want is for those worms to pass to family members and kids. Always wash your hands after dealing with any waste or cleaning the dog. Also, don’t let them lick or “kiss” you while undergoing treatment because you don’t know where that tongue has been.
Summary: choosing between the best and worst deworming products to help your dogs.
As you can see, the issue of worms within the environment and the dog’s digestive system is a little more complicated than killed off the odd tapeworm. Your dog can be infected from birth, and continue to pick up worms through its life. This is why it is important to choose a product like 8in1
Safe Guard Canine Dewormer where there is so much protection against different forms of parasites. Products like Bayer Tapeworm Dewormer for Dogs have their benefits in certain cases, but may not be so reliable and convenient in the long run.
There are different approaches to the best approach to dog deworming. Make sure to choose the best one for your pet.
In the end, the best dog dewormer solution is to take all of the information and advice within this guide and apply it to your home and pet. The best products out of the list above can help to deal with the types of worms listed on the box, but they are not a one-stop solution to the issue.
Make sure to get your dog checked out and medicated on regular occasions to help keep the critters at bay. Maintain a clean home and hygiene standards to stop the pests and eggs from spreading too far. Finally, always be vigilant for signs of worm infections and act appropriately.